xp switching users

awest3 21:58 20 May 05

hi, I have a new Dell 5500 with XP at sp2 level.

I have two user accounts ... if I have both active ...when I try to logoff one of them I get the saving your settings and the machine then freezes....nothing but a power off and restart cures it....any ideas..?

Awest3

See if this helps at all. click here

awest3 20:21 21 May 05

Hi [email protected], Thanks for this....it does not really match my problem....if only one user is on it closes down as normal..its only if I try to close one of two users....
|Awest3

Jackcoms 21:16 21 May 05

I also have a similar problem with 4 user accounts.

When I use the Start/Log Off option with one particular account the PC usually freezes and, like you, only a power off at the mains will cure it.

I suspect that it is a particular process which is running in that account, but not the others, which fails to shut down properly and causes the freeze.

HOWEVER, with something like 67 processes running when all 4 users are logged in, I haven't the time or energy to investigate which process is the culprit!

I find that a simple workaround when in the account which causes the freeze, is to use fast user switching to return to the Welcome screen and then log into one of the other accounts.

I then use Task Manager/Users to log off the account which causes the problem. Using that method to log off doesn't cause a freeze.

awest3 22:32 21 May 05

thanks..sounds a good workaround

Awest3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…