Is XP Susceptible to Hacking?

User-312386 19:16 24 Jul 03

Hi folks

Heres the scenario

3 users on my XP machine

I have the Administrator account with password

2 other users with limited accounts and no password at log in.

I have Broadband, therefore "always on" connection.

The Question is this:

If i turn the computer on and do not log in (log in screen pops up) will the computer be Susceptible to a hacker? As the firewall has not loaded.

Incidentally i use sygate firewall

what do you all think?

powerless 19:22 24 Jul 03

Well think about it...

If it was true that would be a one heck of a securtiy threat to Windows XP.

...and if it was i think it would have written about.

Also whilst its true a firewall etc has not loaded. Neither has anything else to open a connection.

Always on yes but its got to wait until the computer loads all the services for a net connection to be opened.

User-312386 19:27 24 Jul 03

i have thought about it Powerless and thats why i typed it here...............LOL

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:24 24 Jul 03

Firewalls??.they are useful in stopping Trojans dialing out but to be honest, if someone wanted to put a dialer on a computer it would not be rocket science. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, TooLeaky having the Gibsonmeisters? grudgingly awarded seal of entry. The Cult of the Dead Cows? Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsofts? Back Office, could be put on a target computer if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep. However. like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. Hacking is not about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

G

Joe McG 20:34 24 Jul 03

madboy33,

Got to agree with GANDALF.

I stopped using a firewall a long while ago, after a mate showed me how easy it was to bypass one. ( my own )

As long as you do not keep important serials, i.e. Bank Acc, Credit card etc, It is very unlikely that your system will arouse the interest of a hacker.

P.S. After getting rid of my F/W, my system has ran impeccably.

User-312386 20:55 24 Jul 03

was only asking thats all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…