XP sudden shutdown, but gives a warning

duplo 11:36 03 Mar 04

My girlfriends PC appears to have a virus or a serious spyware problem.

Whenever she tries to access the internet a warning will appear saying that XP will shut down in 59secons, save all you data. 59 seconds latter it will shut down.

Whenever she tries to open IE some spyware site is set to default, and pop ups appear offereing anti spyware and such things. She tries to close these and the shutdown warning pops up, nothing will stop it. She lives in Canada (and I am here in the UK for another few months!).

I spoke to her sister who knows a little more than my girlfriend. They have broadband, but no AV, No Firewall and no anti spyware progs.

I tried to help using remot desktop, but to no avail.

I am going to suggest she uses a friends PC to download Zona Alarm, AVG and spyware blaster. To boot the machine up with the BB modem unplugged and to install the programs. Will this help?

My other idea was system restor (it runs XP), but I fear that if its a virus it will have copied itself to system restor.

Are my ideas OK, and does anyone have any suggestions?

ventanas 11:44 03 Mar 04

Could be the Blaster Virus. If so turn off System Restore and run Stinger click here to remove. Turn SR back on and go to Windows Update to get the patch or it will come back. (In fact get all the critical updates)

The get the other programs you mention. I can't understand it. No defences at all!!!

VoG II 11:45 03 Mar 04

Sounds like Blaster click here

duplo 12:20 03 Mar 04

OK.. I will speak call her tonight and speak her through it! Lets hope it works!
I will let you know!

medicine hat 12:30 03 Mar 04

This update may make her system more secure click here

palinka 15:20 03 Mar 04

Remember too that when she downloads AVG it will still probably need updating immediately as well as at frequent intervals thereafter. I find that many of my colleagues still don't know that an AV program has to be updated regularly. All the talk is about "scanning for viruses" when the updating to protect against the viruses is more important.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…