//some 3rd party need geo

XP Student

Nelmon2k 14:37 14 Nov 04

Is there any difference between xp professional student and the xp pro standard?
If there is what is it?

Salinger 14:41 14 Nov 04

At a guess - the price.

mrdsgs 15:55 14 Nov 04

one is a student license, the other is standard retail. The products are identical, but " a member of the household" has to be in, or employed in full time education to qualify for the student version.

mrdsgs

€dstowe 17:27 14 Nov 04

Check very carefully what you are buying with this.

A friend bought a student edition of XP only to discover it was in French. When enquiring about an exchange to an English copy he was told that there wasn't one.

Zaphod 3 18:16 14 Nov 04

Yes there is an English version and we are using one (very handy having a 12 year old at home). Suggest that your mate has a quiet word.

Praxis99 20:01 14 Nov 04

I have Office 2003 Pro (given to me free courtesy by my last employer - a college).

As I understand it the student version which is cut down from the one I use bundles Outlook, Word and Excel.

While other office versions have additional programmes, in my opinion the only thing most people will miss with this student version is Access.

Incidentally Microsoft take it on trust when you buy the student version that you are indeed involved in education so irrespective of your educational status if you only need the above office packages you'd have to be mad to pay the full wack for them.

Finally it might also be worth considering the free alternative offered by Open Office which is a fully featured office suite that is compatible with MS Office documents and packages and had a very favourable review in this months issue of PC Pro.

€dstowe 19:04 16 Nov 04

We are discussing WINDOWS XP not Microsoft OFFICE XP aren't we?

Buchan 35 19:13 16 Nov 04

ouch!

Praxis99 23:46 16 Nov 04

Don't you just love the abruptness that anonymity brings.

My mistake, didn't know such a thing existed as a student version of XP.

If so I would still imagine my comments re price hold true if you are an "educational" user.

€dstowe 08:47 17 Nov 04

Apologies if that seemed abrupt but I became confused myself. I know there was a student edition of Office XP available at one time and from what I can gather now, the student edition of Windows XP is an upgrade only in the UK although the one in French is a full independent version.

You can get it from Amazon click here

cherria 09:20 17 Nov 04

I have the student version of Windows XP pro as my wife is a teacher.

It is identical in all ways to Windows XP pro except it is a fraction of the price.

My version is in English, so anybody trying to flog a foreign version saying an English version does not exist is lying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…