XP Startup Selection Utility

DennisD 22:05 24 Dec 05

I've got some clutter in my taskbar that loads automatically at startup, & my boot/startup in general seems to be slower than normal in the last few days. (I've run virus scans & Microsoft's Spyware tool without incident.)

Anyway, when using msconfig, some programs aren't apparent, & the names are too cryptic to help much. I'm wondering if there is a recommended, XP-friendly utility that helps the non-techie like myself manage the startup choices selectively without risking much harm? (I've been reluctant to use just any freeware for something like this.) Thanks for your advice.

VoG II 22:07 24 Dec 05

click here should help you.

GuZ><0r 22:18 24 Dec 05

click here A great program for stopping programs at start-up. I use it and my computer starts alot quicker than it did before.

GuZ><0r 22:18 24 Dec 05

Forgot to say - also free!!!!

DennisD 17:38 25 Dec 05

Thanks VoG™ & GuZ><0r for your recommendation! I downloaded the Startup Inspector this morning, & it took a full minute off my startup. Very nice program--makes me wish Microsoft could have done that with XP's msconfig (or try to do it with Avalon for ease of use.

As it turns out, the prime resource hogs was Windows Messenger, which was configured to start with Windows. Just getting doing that got rid of the crawling white bar on the black screen before the XP log screen during startup, & the other programs in the tray started quicker also.

squashman 01:26 26 Dec 05

If you have microsoft antispyware, it will give you a list of both running and startup progams and will let you block them on a temp or permenant basis. I have cut down startup time quite abit this way.

kro 01:31 26 Dec 05

If you have Spybot the advanced mode/tools lets you completely remove startup items.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…