XP startup problems

Rodman 15:49 19 Jun 05

I'm having some problems with XP starting. It goes through the 'WindowsXP is starting', 'Welcome' and appears to boot-up ok until it gets to the wall-paper, then stops.

I have tried statring in safe mode, it gets as far as the screen with 'safe mode' in each corner. Then stops!

When I hit 'ctrl+alt+del' all I get is a warning window saying 'Task Manager has been disabled by your system administrator'. I am the system administrator! And I didn't do it!!!

All was well two days ago before we went to the NEC. As far as I can remember I havn't installed anything that may have upset the system.

HELLLLPPP!!

Rod

De Marcus 16:04 19 Jun 05

Whilst the pc is starting up (as soon as you turn it on basically) tap the f8 button until you get a list od options, choose 'last known good configuration' and hit enter.

Rodman 17:23 19 Jun 05

De Marcus,

Thanks, I've tried that and still no change.

Just having the wallpaper and no icons, no access to the run command or icons in safe mode, is starting to worry me.

Rod

alltime 17:36 19 Jun 05

Go to Start. Control panel, System,
Click on System Restore,
Is there a TICK in the box, if so remove it and reboot.

Rodman 18:20 19 Jun 05

Hi alltime

Thanks but I have no start menu, task bar or icons available on screen. Nothing but the wallpaper!

Rod

De Marcus 19:08 19 Jun 05

Try pressing Ctrl Alt Del to bring up task manager and see if there's anything you can disable that might be causing the problem, whilst your there check that explorer.exe is running.

pat-212841 20:10 19 Jun 05

i had a problem like this have you gone in to the start up progarams and ticked the wrong box ? have you pressed selective start up by mistake ?

Joe R 20:36 19 Jun 05

Rodman,

have you access to the command prompt, when tapping on F8.?

If so type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and hit the enter button.

Rodman 20:36 19 Jun 05

De Marcus

Pressing Ctrl Alt Del just brings up a window telling me 'Task Manager has been disabled by your system administrator'. So Task manager isn't available.

Nohope

I don't remember doing anything with the startup programs. Do you know of a way to get to msconfig without the run command?

Thanks for the sugestions. Keep 'em coming!

Rod

pat-212841 20:52 19 Jun 05

Wheres Vog when you need him ?? it does sound the same as what was wrong with mine i had no task bar in the end AOL tech staff helped me out cause they thought at first i had done something to windows registry .

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:24 19 Jun 05

Can you press Ctrl and Esc to get the start menu up? if so then,

Task Manager has been disabled type or paste this exactly into the run box and press enter.

REG add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v DisableTaskMgr /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Taskbar missing
click here

Taskbar repair tool
click here

Where did my icons go?
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…