XP Startup problem

Scubaman 20:18 07 Mar 06

Hi, I am having a problem with my other computer on startup. The old drive was getting noisy and freezing on startup, so I installed a new one and used Norton Ghost to transfer the old drive. Everything went fine but ocasionally the windows XP screen appears and the progress bar freezes and I have to restart then its fine until the next time. Any ideas?
Thanks

PC Bilbo 23:02 07 Mar 06

If it was running fine on yr other drive, it sounds like something corrupted in the transfer.

Try running system file checker. From Start > RUN

type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and have your XP disk ready incase it asks for it.

Scubaman 11:42 08 Mar 06

Thanks Bilbo, It wouldn't work with the "/" so I tried it without and all I saw was a flash of a black window, it that it?

Press Man 11:47 08 Mar 06

Try it again, make sure you have a space after sfc.

Scubaman 11:53 08 Mar 06

Tried it five times now and I just manage to see what looks like a DOS screen flash up. sfc scannow

rawprawn 12:24 08 Mar 06

sfc /scannow will work make sure that you put a space between sfc and /

Scubaman 13:27 08 Mar 06

OK, sfc /scannow executed but I missed the end result. I will mark this problem a s resolved and try the startup again. If I have a further problem I will post another thread. Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…