xp starts to boot up then...

cham 10:34 11 Aug 04

HELP...PLSE.....Xp starts to boot up ....recognises the drives and just before going on to the customary windows xp icon it comes up with the following message....
windows root>system32\hal.dll-reinstall copy as the file may be corrupt or damaged.
Please be kind enough to give me the step by step guide if poss and i have the xp disc.
Thanxs.

Smegs 10:48 11 Aug 04

You will need to go into the BIOS by pressing the delete button, when you turn the PC on. Find where the boot sequence is, on change it, so it boots from CD-ROM. Then you will be able to do a system restore using the XP disk.

VoG II 10:58 11 Aug 04
  cga 11:48 11 Aug 04

Hold on - dont do anything too quickly or you might make things worse.

The most common cause of this is when you have been working with partitions. hal.dll is the first thing the system looks for after examining boot.ini.

If you have recently created(deleted or moved a partition then what probably has happened is that the relative partition of your XP system has changed. If this is the case then it is still there undamaged but Boot.ini is pointing somewhere else.

If this is the case then report back with details of what partition tools you have and what you think you did.

cham 13:22 11 Aug 04

cga- the pc was running normally yesterday and then switched off andtried to reboot itself andkept coming up with the notice displayed above. I haven't changed or partitioned anything since i put on xp over a year ago.
I an chkdsk and it came up with 1 error on a volume so i'm now running chkdsk \repair....but boy it's slow...55% was very quick but now it's sitting on 55% for the last 40 mins!! I guess it's trying to repair it...hope!

cga 13:39 11 Aug 04

OK - Sorry, it was just a thought.

I would have hated you having to go through repair actions if everything was there undamaged.

Sorry to butt in.

cham 13:42 11 Aug 04

CGA- don't apologise...appreciate the thought, i just hope the repair is gonna work

cham 22:21 12 Aug 04

ok, here's the latest guys...i ran chkdsk \r overnight...
pc now goes as far as xp os logo and then back to boot up again
so i did bootfix and it installed a new boot sector
i can now go into windows but have a couple of dll errors which norton can't fix plus the hdd is very slow at times so...
1) does any one know of a good dll error fixing prog (free)?
2) it now gives me an option of choosing 1 of 2 xp os to start off with...so how do i get rid of one in order it starts by itself??

woodchip 22:35 12 Aug 04

Have you tried getting into Safe Mode, You need to keep pressing F8 when your computer is starting up the in Safe Mode try going back to a restor point

VoG II 22:38 12 Aug 04

To fix the dlls Start, Run, type in

sfc /scannow

and click OK.

If you have a choice of Windows you must have attempted a repair and pressed the wrong key at some point. Can you tell us exactly what you did?

woodchip 22:38 12 Aug 04

Looking at your last post, it may be a Virus

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…