"XP starting up" doesn't start up!

garryparry 23:13 27 Aug 05

This evening I am having dificulty in getting Windows XP to go beyond the 'Windows is starting up' phase when I start my computer. I have not installed any new programmes or added any devices.

HELP!

garryparry

Skills 23:58 27 Aug 05

Reboot the pc and press F8 while it is starting up you will be presented with a list choose last known good configuration from the list, see if that works.

garryparry 00:05 28 Aug 05

tried it. A message comes that there was a problems with the registry file and that another way has been found and that the problem has been resolved. Then the system goes back to starting and gets stuck on the 'Windows is starting up' phase. I can move the cursor which is peculiar since I had thought that the machine had frozen.

Thanks for your help. Looks like I am still stuck.

garryparry

garryparry 00:05 28 Aug 05

tried it. A message comes that there was a problems with the registry file and that another way has been found and that the problem has been resolved. Then the system goes back to starting and gets stuck on the 'Windows is starting up' phase. I can move the cursor which is peculiar since I had thought that the machine had frozen.

garryparry

garryparry 00:07 28 Aug 05

garryparry

Skills 00:10 28 Aug 05

Restart again and press F8 this time choose safe mode with command prompt at the command prompt type

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Then press enter

This will start system restore choose a date previous to this happening and restore see if that gets you going.

garryparry 00:17 28 Aug 05

Update, tried the 'debugging mode' during start up. No luck. Gets stuck at the same message as before.

garryparry

Skills 00:20 28 Aug 05

TRy the system restore method I posted above

garryparry 00:20 28 Aug 05

I don't seem to be getting any command prompt even after F8 and pressing safe mode with command prompt.

:-(((

garryparry

garryparry 00:29 28 Aug 05

Skills, tried the command prompt again. The machine keeps going back to the same 'starting up message again'.

I haven't added any new software, nor received any emails from anyone.

Weird?!

garryparry

garryparry 00:30 28 Aug 05

Skills, tried the command prompt again. The machine keeps going back to the same 'starting up message again'.

I haven't added any new software, nor received any emails from anyone.

Weird?!

garryparry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…