XP start up problem

mco 18:15 18 Aug 04

Please help a non-technical parent sort out kids' computer! They're on Xp (with broadband) and each have own 'area'. At mo' when they switch on, then log on to own area, their background comes on ...then nothing else. Only way to get anything is by pressing control+alt+delete and running stuff via task manager. What's happened? It was ok yesterday.

THE TERMINATOR 18:45 18 Aug 04

Sounds like a system restore needs to be implemented. Goto start>All programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore, and choose a time when all was ok to restore from....TT

mco 19:31 18 Aug 04

still puzzled...tried to do system restore (bit difficult when I've only got task manager and an option to 'run new task' and I don't know what to call it. It offered me msconfig so from there I got something called system configuration utility - located a 'system restore ' to click on but all I got was the system restore box and a blank..

mco 19:32 18 Aug 04

how do I get to 'start all programs accessories etc' from the task manager box?

VoG II 19:37 18 Aug 04

File/New Task (Run)

Try entering

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

(that is System Restore).

mco 20:14 18 Aug 04

will go and try that now - thanks. Daughter put me in direction of 'browse' on task manager but I didn't know what I was browsing for1

mco 20:19 18 Aug 04

done that - task manager says it's running but all I'm getting (again) is the box entitled system restore with nothing inside it except white... unless it's taking forever...

VoG II 20:25 18 Aug 04

Can you get it to start in Safe Mode click here

If so, log in a Administrator at the Welcome Screen.

Then have a look at click here

mco 20:40 18 Aug 04

thanks VoG (don't know how to do the tm!) have printed those off my computer and will try again.

mco 21:22 18 Aug 04

too tired to carry on now - will try tomorrow - please don't give up on me people! When I go into safe mode which particular safe mode (of the several offered) do I need? Also - don't know how but a message Issas system error (to do with a password) came up at one stage. Have run registry mechanic (all ok) spybot (all ok)

mco 21:23 18 Aug 04

too tired to carry on now - will try tomorrow - please don't give up on me people! When I go into safe mode which particular safe mode (of the several offered) do I need? Also - don't know how but a message Issas system error (to do with a password) came up at one stage. Have run registry mechanic (all ok) spybot (all ok)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…