XP start up freezes after USB card reader install

patchrico 13:06 06 Jan 06

OK – I have a XPC shuttle SB51G running on XP OS. The problem I have is that after the install of an internal card reader connected to one of USB2 headers on the mainboard – the system will not boot up.

Basically the system gets are far as displaying about 4 lines of text (on the boot up screen) and then the whole thing freezes up including the text itself. (Some words half complete). Happens just before the memory test would normally start to display. The keyboard and mouse will also not work at this point (whether connected to a USB port or PS2) --- [the graphics card is fitted OK].

If I then remove the Reader’s USB plug from the mainboard and restart, the system will boot up fine. If I then plug the USB back in (once the system is up and running) the Reader will also work fine with no problems. However, if I leave the reader plugged in to the mainboard and restart the computer – the system freezes on boot up as previously described.

I know that the USB headers on the mainboard work OK as they power up the external USB ports fine. And I have tried the Reader in two different headers. I have also tried the Reader as the only USB device connected on startup.

Not a major problem – just frustrating as it makes the internal reader useless at the moment. --- Appreciate any ideas on this. Thanks

(PS the reader did come will a startup disc that was installed OK)

Thalmus 13:12 06 Jan 06

Check your BIOS and see if your PC is trying to boot from a USB device before your hard disk

If it is try changing so that the hard disk boots before the USB device

patchrico 14:58 06 Jan 06

Thanks - but have already checked the BIOS. The first start up device is CDROM then the Hard drive --- so it should be looking straight at the boot up sector on the HDD.

(I did originally have a Floppy Disc drive connected as first boot up but I took the floppy drive out as I needed the bay and changed the first boot to FDD-USB / CDROM / HDD-0 --- in case I wanted to boot from a floppy USB dive in the future BUT - have since unchecked the FDD-USB as first option)

patchrico 02:36 07 Jan 06

After testing this further -- I've found that any USB card reader attached to the systems internal or external USB ports (run off the motherboard), prior to start up will prevent the system from booting up correctly (still don't know why) ---

But I also have a USB PCI card installed. Now, if I connect the Card Reader to this and start the system - it boots up OK !

Does anyone know the explanation for this ?

(luckily the USB PCI card has a USB port thats inside the case - so if I can get an adapter cable I can connect the card reader to this. Will need a male USB internal plug to external USB plug adapter if such a thing exists)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…