XP Start Up Disc

David4637 14:25 06 May 05

I want to create an XP start up CDR in case the OS will not start up for a reason. I have NO floppy disc drive, and only a restore CD that wipes the HD and reinstalls XP. Some SIMPLE links on how to? Thanks David

mattyc_92 14:38 06 May 05

What do you mean "Start Disk"?? You mean like the "Windows 98 Start Disk"?? if so, then WinXP HASN'T got one of these (it has got a more basic version without the CD drivers)...

You need a Floppy Disk drive to get the files though....

mattyc_92 14:42 06 May 05

Or is this what you mean? click here;en-us;314079

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:42 06 May 05
  mattyc_92 14:44 06 May 05

http: // support. microsoft .com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314079 (copy and paste into the address bar, but remove the spaces)

Chegs ® 14:49 06 May 05

click here

You need the Ultimate Boot CD if you want to:

Run floppy-based diagnostic tools from CDROM drives. More and more PCs are shipped without floppy drives these days, and it is such a royal pain when you need to run diagnostic tools on them.

---------------------------------------------

Or,if you have a few hours spare,you can create Bart's PE bootable CD,it has a range of XP tools,defrag/chkdsk,etc that can be run from "outside" windows,and reducing the chance of errors caused by "inuse" files.

click here

VoG II 14:58 06 May 05
  David4637 13:56 07 May 05

Thanks fellows for your helpful tips, which I will trawl through. I will post back then. David

David4637 16:43 09 May 05

On my Desk top, I inserted the W98SE floppy bootup disc, selected CDR boot disc with Nero V5.5 and copied the A: drive files through Nero to the CDR "Out" and burned it. I now have a CDR boot disc which will boot my XP PC ( without floppy drive) to the A:\ prompt. Thanks ALL.

David4637 14:09 10 May 05

I tried your link to produce a XP installation CD, as I have only a factory restore CD - click here the web site was easily understood, and I copied all the files from folder I386 on HD to a CDRW to test it out. It started to work with the setup dialog dispalyed, but a error message was seen - E:\i386\winntupg\netupgrd.dll required. The folder \winntupg was not on CDR I produced? Any ideas? Thanks David

woodchip 14:30 10 May 05

You would do better to create a Image of the Partition

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…