XP Start button disabled

croydon 12:18 16 Dec 04

I have had a virus on my laptop which I think I have now successfully removed.

However, it has disabled my Start button. Also I cannot bring up the Start Menu using the Windows keyboard button either (so I can't check what has been added in msconfig).

Any help would be appreciated.

Jak_1 14:09 16 Dec 04

Do you have a shortcut on the desktop for 'Windows Explorer'. If so access System Tools and then System Restore. Roll back the Laptop to a date before you got the virus. Hopefully this should restore Start Button function.

Can't guarunte this will work but it's seems to be a logical step.

Failing that if you have the manufacturers recovery disk try that using the 'Nondestructive System Recovery' option. That should reset all System files to default.

iambeavis 14:40 16 Dec 04

Right click the Taskbar to bring up Task Manager.

Choose:- File> New Task and in the box that appears type msconfig then OK.

That should bring up msconfig.

iambeavis 14:48 16 Dec 04

As long as you have access to Task Manager, you can use this method to bring up any process,or application,you wish to. The start button can also be accessed using Ctrl+Esc.

rawprawn 17:22 16 Dec 04

XP ?, if so try running a system file check. if you can get to the command prompt type sfc /scannow

croydon 17:34 16 Dec 04

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I had programs running in the task manager that I could not cancel (Wintools programs). I was able to get into msconfig and stop the programs at startup but something was still running them.

In the end I bit the bullet and re-installed XP. Luckilly there were not too many applications on the laptop that needed to be re-installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…