XP SP3 Problems

The Curzon Kid 23:56 21 Mar 09

Having recently installed SP3 update for XP I now find that when the automatic Windows updates are installed my Outlook email will not open up. The error message states that the Outlook.pst could not be found on the C drive in my Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/Outlook folder. Also Goole Chrome is no longer available and appears to have been deleted.
Luckily I was able to retrieve a packup .PST file to get up and running again in Outlook.
Any ideas on what is happening and how to get over it?
Many Thanks,
John

howard64 06:09 22 Mar 09

did you have your antivirus and firewall on when you installed sp3? I have heard this can cause similar problems. I downloaded sp3 and saved it then disconnected from the web and turned off the protection while I installed the update. No problems since.

The Curzon Kid 09:42 22 Mar 09

Thanks Howard64. I did have the AV and firewall on at the time so possibly you are right. However I understand that you can not uninstall SP3 so is there anything I can do to get it corrected. Or am I wrong in assuming SP3 can not be uninstalled?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:56 22 Mar 09

System restore to before you updated.

or
click here

The Curzon Kid 17:30 22 Mar 09

Thanks Fruit Bat I tried system restore and it did not work so will follow the link and uninstall SP3 and then follow the Microsoft procedure more closely and reinstall it again and see what happens.
I will report back in a couple of days to let you know how I got on.

The Curzon Kid 22:04 28 Mar 09

Went to the Microsoft site to get some help and looked at article 950249 for removing XP SP3 and article 950717 for steps to take before installing SP3. Followed steps and hey presto it worked!

Thanks Howard64 and Fruit Bat/\0/\

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…