XP SP3 Installation Problem

skirmish 19:25 16 Sep 10

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I've got a HP Pavillion PC with Intel Processor running the Media Edition XP that came with the machine when I bought it. Everything has been fine however it will not install SP3. I want to do this because SP2 is not now supported by MS so I'm not getting any updates.
Initially when I tried to install it I got this message

Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3

I subsequently found this thread click here and di what was suggested. This allowed me to install SP3 however when the PC does it's Restart it locks on one of the opening screen shots. The only way I can then sort the problem out is by doing a System Restore in Safe Mode.

Has anyone got any ideas about what may be causing this as I'd really like to get SP3 on my machine.

Alternatively when I bought the PC I got a free Vista upgrade disc so I do have the option of installing that which would then give me a system that is still being updated. The PC has 2GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance
Dave

jimv7 19:28 16 Sep 10

Try turning off any anti-virus thats running before installing sp3.

skirmish 19:29 16 Sep 10

I did that but it made no difference.

robin_x 21:01 16 Sep 10

I have an old laptop (orig Win98) which I bought a full XP SP2 retail disc for. Also a desktop pre-installed with XP SP2.

Both Home Premium/both are Compaqs.

I can't remember if I upgraded both to SP3, certainly I did the pre-installed desktop.

I had problems with the 'normal' SP3 download (80MB?). Found a 300MB network version and in spite of warnings only to run it for networks (I wasn't networked at the time), I ran it anyway and it worked fine.

click here

Can't advise more. I am all W7 now. Good Luck.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:08 16 Sep 10

1. Make a backup of your registry.

2. Download and install subinacl.exe.
click here

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

4. Reboot at SAFE MODE and try install SP3 again.

skirmish 23:36 16 Sep 10

Thanks for the replies.
Fruit Bat, can you please explain what your advice is actually doing? It's not that I don't believe what you're advising, just that I'm intrigued what the problem is and what your suggestion is doing.
I've never had to make a back up of my Registry so I'm delving into a quite scary and deep area of tinkering here!!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:51 16 Sep 10

Start -run -type regedit - ok

File -export ... that's the registry backed up, its just a precaution.

subinacl unlocks some entries in the registry hat get locked by various Antispy and antimalware programs, even switching off the programs or running in safemode leaves these items locked.
They prevent the Administrator profile from making some necessary changes when SP3 is updated and therefore he update is not completed successfully and you either get a machine hanging on reboot or an Access Denied message during thr attempt to update.

skirmish 10:32 17 Sep 10

Thanks for the explanation. I've just downloaded subinacl.exe. When i start to install it it says that it will 'remove/uninstall subinacl.exe from my system. Is this what it should do?

At what point do I do this? And are there any more instructions on how to do this? Sorry for all the questions but while I have some knowledge about PCs I'm getting into an unknown area here!

3. Create a file called reset.cmd with Notepad. Copy the text below into the file reset.cmd and run reset.cmd with administrative rights (it may take a LONG time):

cd /d "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools"
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%*.* /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\inf\defltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 17 Sep 10

Sounds like you already have subinacl on your system.

Open Notepad
Copy and paste the text into Notepad
Save as reset.cmd

double click reset.cmd to run it
and wait until it has completed.

reboot into safemode and attempt to reinstall sp3.

skirmish 20:37 17 Sep 10

Right then.
I've done exactly what you told me to do and guess what?

I'm afraid exactly the same thing happens.

I get the message below and can't get any further.

Windows XP SP3 Setup Error: Cannot Update a Checked (Debug) System with a Free (Retail) Version of Service Pack 3

I'm now very tempted to just give up and either keep using just SP2 or load the Vista.

Can anyone advise if there is a problem or a risk by keeping on using SP2 when there are no further updates available?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:17 17 Sep 10

1. Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

2. In right-side pane look for a String value "CurrentType". Change its value to Checked and if its already set to Checked, then set it to Free and click on OK.

3. Exit registry editor and try to install SP3 again. Now it should install without any problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac