XP SP3 had screwed up my internet connection

Red Devil 20:01 15 Jul 08

Hi all,

OK, on one of my PCs I have installed Microsoft's oh-so wonderful SP3 update for XP and, surprise, surprise for a Microsoft update, it's screwed up my PC.

The problem is that I cannot connect to the internet now on that PC. The internet connection is up and down like a jack-in-the-box. It's up for a fraction of a second before it's down for a fraction of a second and seems stuck in a loop where it connects, disconnects, connects, disconnects, con........well you get the picture.

I have a wireless connection on this PC that connects to the main wireless hub and am wondering if it's a driver problem or network issue but can't connect to the internet to check given the issue.

Any ideas what may be causing this or what I might try to fix the issue?

Many thanks.

wis 20:03 15 Jul 08

up date kb 951748 on this site has many ref to
stoping internet connection

laurie53 20:06 15 Jul 08

Couple of threads on this already.

Disable/uninstall ZoneAlarm if you have it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:08 15 Jul 08

1. Disconnect (ha ha) from the internet.
2. Disable / uninstall ZA as above
3. switch on windows firewall
4. reconnect to internet and download the latest version of ZA
5. Install the latest version of ZA (will auto switch off windows firewall
6. You will now get connection again although windows security may give you incorrect messages about ZA being off.

Red Devil 20:13 15 Jul 08

I don't have ZoneAlarm. I didn't like their scaremongering tactics for selling their products so uninstalled it ages ago.

So are there any other suggestions please?

Many thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:35 15 Jul 08

Suggest first thing is to uninstall the hotfix in ADD /Remove or use system retore back to a point before you downloaded the update.

Stuartli 21:16 15 Jul 08

Reinstall the wireless router's drivers; this will/should reestablish the connection.

Red Devil 12:39 16 Jul 08

Ok, did that. Still got the problem. It gets stuck on acquiring the network address.

The one thing I did notice is that when I looked at the connection's properties it says that my network is a WEP one when I know it's a WPA=PSK one.

Would that be any clue to the issue?

Red Devil 12:41 16 Jul 08

While a appreciate the help, that suggestion is avoiding the problem not solving it and is something I would like to avoid if I could.

I want to fix this issue and will only uninstall SP3 if I can't.

After all, it prevents me from accessing any further security updates as Microsoft are well known for denying users access to them if you don't have the latest SP installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…