XP and sp3

exdragon 10:23 07 Jul 10

I've just read the article about sp2 no longer receiving updates from Microsoft. I didn't install sp3 when it first came out as there were apparently problems with some Realtek sound cards not working, and knowing my luck....

I've just run a Belarc report and it shows in the Installed Hotfixes section, many security hotfixes which are verified correctly and which are linked to sp3.

I'm confused - should I just download sp3, and is it obvious what to do with it?

Thanks.

gengiscant 10:30 07 Jul 10

I had the well documented conflict with SP3 and the Asus A8N-32 deluxe mobo,it would continually boot/restart. THe PC cotaining this board is now my wifes Pc and I decided to reinstall windows XP and with an updated bios was able to install SP3.

Now I hadn't heard of the problem with Realtek soundcards but a bios update may solve the problem.Have a look on the Realtek website for info.

northumbria61 10:36 07 Jul 10

I would install Service Pack 3 - Full instructions are available from here click here

exdragon 10:42 07 Jul 10

Thank you - I'll gird up my loins, so to speak. If I create a system restore point, will it work if it all goes pear shaped?

michaelw 10:50 07 Jul 10

Sometimes it's better to install sp3 in safemode which can overcome any foibles.

exdragon 10:53 07 Jul 10

Good idea, wouldn't have thought of that.

robin_x 11:26 08 Jul 10

Download this.

WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU

click here

Network version but it works for home users.

Stand alone home version kept freezing near the end of install.

exdragon 15:54 11 Jul 10

I downloaded SP3 to a cd, started Safe Mode but the file could not be read. Neithrr could I connect to the internet in Safe Mode - am I missing something obvious, please?

And is it safe to turn off the antivirus if I download and install from robinofloxley's link above?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…