XP SP2/firewall not allowing internet access

oops1890 10:56 01 Sep 04

I followed advice yesterday regarding remedying the RPC system shutdown and disabling the messenger service. It wasn't blaster, but sdbot. However, the stinger found it and deleted it. I also took the chance to download and install XP service pack 2 and put the XP firewall on. I am running a 712kbps broadband connection, but it won't display any pages since making the above system changes. Sometimes it will display homepage (google.co.uk), but will time out on searches and also on uploading typed in website addresses. Is this common? Has anyone got any advice for how I can get the internet working again?

oops1890 11:22 01 Sep 04

I forgot to mention, I'm using Mozilla 1.7.2, but had to use Explorer to dowload XP SP2.

SEASHANTY 12:31 01 Sep 04

Click on Security Settings icon in Control Panel
and on the window that appears - towards the bottom
click on Internet Security settings. Check to see if anything unusual there. For instance on the programs tab mine is set for HTML - Mozilla and underneath that it has Mozilla Mail.

Down at the bottom left is a square saying Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default
browser. I have a tick in this square.

I have I.E.6, Mozilla v1.7.2 and Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird installed on this PC. No browser is set as default but I normally use Mozilla for email
and the Firefox browser. Just downloaded SP2 and disabled the XP Firewall as I use the Firewall and AV contained in V-COM System Suite 5.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…