XP SP2 update

Forum Editor 09:01 17 Jul 04

As I anticipated in a previous thread, Microsoft recently notified me that there's yet another pre-release beta version of the WinXP SP2 avaliable to beta testers. I downloaded and installed it yesterday, and so far there are no problems. This release (build 2162) is aimed at fixing various issues raised as a result of the extended use of RC2, and coming as it does at the eleventh hour before launch, is an indication of the hectic activity that must be taking place at Redmond to get this Service Pack right.
The download came in at just over 94Mb - a distinct improvement on earlier beta versions.

Diodorus Siculus 09:13 17 Jul 04

I have wondered about installing this and while I have a good backup (Ghost image), I would still like to know if system restore will work after installing SP2?

If I were to install it, can I use system restore to undo it?

Forum Editor 09:23 17 Jul 04

Just go into the 'Add or remove programs' tool in Control panel. Make sure the 'show updates' box is ticked, and you'll be able to remove SP2 from there.

SirGalahad2004 09:58 17 Jul 04

thanks FE will get it right away .

SirGalahad2004 10:11 17 Jul 04

hm just been to windows update . says no No updates available .

SirGalahad2004 10:39 17 Jul 04

Forum Editor

can you post a link to the update please .

christmascracker 11:10 17 Jul 04
  SirGalahad2004 11:16 17 Jul 04

Forum Editor 12:53 17 Jul 04

isn't available to everyone - it's for beta testers only.

I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression - the publicly available version is Release Candidate2 which is the version on the link provided by christmascracker.

gold 47 13:28 17 Jul 04

Whats this SP2 download when i clicked on your link it took over my modem which is an NTL line i am on broadband via AOL on a BT line my computer is connected to two lines i couldn't get it to stop dialing out ended up pulling the plug by that time it had dowloaded software ended up putting it through Cyberscrub to be rid of it.

jakimo 13:55 17 Jul 04

sp2 contains 82Mb of files,so not for dial up users,a free to order cd will be available in August from Microsoft,and some pc retailers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…