XP SP2 safer from a disk than dial up download?

StephenRogers 17:11 31 Mar 05

I tried to install SP2 from a dial up download last year.
This resulted in the start up loop, the panicked fiddling with the BIOS to get the machine working again, the searching of help and support sites, and finally the acceptance of a limping machine.

Since then it's been a machine which is slow, and which has residual bits of non functioning SP2 on it.
I've finally decided to reinstall XP, and would like to install SP2 from a disk I've ordered from microsoft (because I think a new ipod shuffle seems to need it to work properly).
Does anyone know if the SP install from disk is likely to be more successful than the downloaded install which upset my system so badly?

cheers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 31 Mar 05

Have done it with both without any problems.

Only difference is that the disc is less likely to be corrupt than a downloaded file and is easier to redo if necessary later.

Stuartli 17:43 31 Mar 05

If you order a CD-ROM version it will probably arrive before the dialup download has finished...

Most PC magazines, including PC Advisor, provided a full copy of SP2 on a dedicated cover disk last September or October.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…