XP SP2 Nightmare

Big Trev 22:02 19 Aug 04

Can anybody direct me to a web site that might give some clue as to how one sorts out all the problems caused by XP Service Pack 2? I installed it about a week ago and so far it has disabled my Anti-virus software, caused the TV card to fail, prevented the reinstallation of my printer, failed to recognise the CD-Rom drives, disabled the sound card and generally knackered up the scripting on Internet Explorer! Not bad eh? I'm just about to make my umpteenth attempt to reinstall my sound card. Wish me luck!

Mikè 22:04 19 Aug 04

Uninstall it and wait for the bugs to be sorted.

Big Trev 22:14 19 Aug 04

Is it possible to uninstall a service pack without removing the whole OS?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:16 19 Aug 04

SP2 can be unistalled from the Add / remove programs section in the control panel

Big Trev 22:19 19 Aug 04

Thanks. I'll give it a go and let you know how I got on.

harps1h 22:55 19 Aug 04

click here

you will find some answers there

Big Trev 23:17 19 Aug 04

I uninstalled SP2 and rebooted. I thought then it was all over! The PC wouldn't boot up. Got as far as the boot screen before rebooting over and over again. Finally changed the BIOS to have the CDROM as the first boot device and booted with the Windows CD in. That worked, but the sound card still doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

spuds 00:10 20 Aug 04

Seem like you are not the only one with problems click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…