xp sp2 installation problems

elchris 08:58 16 Sep 06

Every time I try to download xp sp2 from microsoft, I get about 50% the way through and then as it tries to install SP2 Cab msmsgs inf , the pc stalls , another box pops up to say that access is denied , then it informs me that the update has failed and starts to backtrack taking itself out .
A box is sitting in my task bar now saying that support for SP1 is ending on Oct. 10 and takes me to the page for downloading SP2 again
I have tried to download it 4 times now .
I am loathe to disable my AVG software whilst downloading but have tried that and the same problem exists ...........I am running Norton firewall and have even disabled that but the problem is still there .

ICF 09:40 16 Sep 06

Try downloading from elsewhere click here

Strawballs 09:43 16 Sep 06

click here Try downloading it from here and save to your (my documents for example) and then run it from there.

SLAYER 09:59 16 Sep 06

I've a spare copy I could send to you,if you like.It will not be fully up to date,but it will at least cut your download considerably.

ArrGee 10:26 16 Sep 06

Have you downloaded all other updates that maybe required first? Are you trying to download SP2 separately?

bof:) 12:46 16 Sep 06

Hi elchris, get a friend to download SP2 to their pc, copy it to a cd and then you install using cd.

Mike

elchris 19:23 16 Sep 06

ta for the replies . I used the links to save SP2 to my documents , ran it , which saved me worrying about the firewall and antivirus ......but it did it again , stalled and went off at MSMSGF INF
Looked it up on google and it is something to do with windows messenger .
Am at a loss with it now .

elchris 19:24 16 Sep 06

ps. I have downloaded all other updates with no problems at all .

Strawballs 20:39 16 Sep 06

go to add remove programs in control panel then add remove windows components in left hand pane and remove windows messenger and try again, you can always install windows messenger live when done better than ordinary windows one anyway.

main identity 12:20 17 Sep 06

try going to windows xp service pack 2 site and order a cd from microsoft then you will always have it that is what i did

main identity 12:22 17 Sep 06

sorry forgot to put url in

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…