Xp sp2 installation problem

w-gemini 12:40 22 Dec 07

My PC started crashing suddenly. I was also getting corrupt file reports from different parts of the disk. Programs were also being corrupted on install. I thought I had a virus so I purchased a new hard disk and tried to reinstall using the Windows XP inc SP2 CD. The disk formatted OK but when the files were being copied to the installation folders I find that several files would not copy over. After several attempts I pressed escape on these files. Ultimately Windows informed me that it could not install. I attempted to install several times with the PC showing different files that would not copy over. A colleague checked the hard disk in another PC and it is OK.
Specs. Asrock Mobo, Pentium D processor, 2x 1GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1600 graphics.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

sunny staines 12:58 22 Dec 07

I would try the SP3 RC1 beta and forget SP2 see if that loads.[beta software is not the final relese]

thms 13:12 22 Dec 07

You appear to have an other thread running on the same subject. It is better to stick with one thread to avoid confusion.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:59 22 Dec 07

Run a lens cleaner through your CD player and polish the XP CD with glass cleaner or furinture polish and retry.

w-gemini 19:45 22 Dec 07

Thanks for your help. It turned out to be a RAM stick that was faulty. Not only did it corrupt Windows start up files but also running programs. Hope this helps if anybody else has a similar problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…