xp and sp2

pollpott 22:12 13 Nov 04

I have recently aquired a second hand machine with windows xp. I have seen a lot of mention of sp2 and wonder whether I need it and if so how do I gret it

penholder 22:14 13 Nov 04

Get it. Lots of computer mags have it on front cover as a freebie

Strawballs 23:57 13 Nov 04

I think it is well worth it but if you do have trouble you can uninstall it through uninstall software and penholder is right lots of mags have it as a free bee or if you have broad band you can get it through windows update.

Rogerfredo 09:47 14 Nov 04

I installed it from the CD "without probs", but found over the next few weeks that some weird things happened. In particular, my computer would occasionally freeze part way through the boot sequence. I put this down to a slight incompatibility with one of my progs.
Some other minor but irritating things also occurred, so I decided to revert back to XP without SP2,using the uninstall option.
This worked surprisingly well, and I am now back to my reliable XP system.
If you use a reliable firewall (like Zonealarm) and an anti-virus (like AVG), there is no real need to use SP2.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…