XP sp2

jamiedude 21:32 22 Sep 04

I have a new computer and I am not sure whether to install sp2,although my computer recommends that I do.
The computer is working fine and don't want to upset anything.
Anyone have any advise?

stalion 21:35 22 Sep 04

if your computer is new are you sure you do not have it already?

Noelg23 21:36 22 Sep 04

well if you have broadband go for it...dont worry if it dont work out cos it will create a system restore but I suggest you do this first..why not check the Windows XP SP2 forum? I think all your answer can be found there...

jamiedude 21:49 22 Sep 04

no it's not installed on the computer yet but it is asking me to, there is an icon on my task bar which says'updates are ready for my computer','click here to install.

crimbo 21:52 22 Sep 04

Most PC magazines this month are carrying an XP2 update CD on thier covers, including PC Advisor, and most Furture publishing magazines

jamiedude 21:02 24 Sep 04

That's interesting crimbo,I'll look into the magazine idea.
Thanks for all your comments.

Jackcoms 21:12 24 Sep 04

jamiedude

"there is an icon on my task bar which says 'updates are ready for my computer'".

Which updates exactly?

jamiedude 21:15 24 Sep 04

I've just noticed there is a forum dedicated to SP2 on this site,it seems plenty of people are having a whole host of problems.Why does microsoft give us upgrades for our computers when all we end up with is problems of a different nature?

jamiedude 21:18 24 Sep 04

jackcoms

One update,it is referring to the installation of SP2.

jamiedude 13:23 16 Oct 04

I have just recieved the xpsp2 cd from microsoft,I will monitor other peoples progress before I/if I install it.
Thanks for your help.

Stuartli 13:50 16 Oct 04

You would be wise to install SP2. Create a System Restore point first.

If, by any chance, things do go wrong you can uninstall SP2 from Add/Remove Programs and revert back to where you were.

But I doubt you will have any problems if your system is working as it should now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5