XP SP2

pat2068 20:43 10 Aug 04

i have tried to download and install xp sp2 but when it is finished all i get is my wallpaper no icons or task bar can someone tell me what i am doing wrong thanks leo

hugh-265156 21:04 10 Aug 04

i have uninstalled the beta version twice and installed the final version yesterday i also checked that it was removable. all went smooth for me no problems so not sure but this may help a bit.

click here

pat2068 22:17 10 Aug 04

i have the oem version of xp and the recovery is on a partition dident get disks with hp comp thanks leo

hugh-265156 22:28 10 Aug 04

if yours came pre installed (as mine did also) dont worry, you should have the option to get to the recovery console after the post screen.

can you start up in safe mode? if so click 'start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings'

tick 'time to show recover options if needed' set the time to 5 secs or so and apply. restart and after the post screen choose recovery console.

follow instructions above.

TTP 22:45 10 Aug 04

I cant even get past 'new windows update software required' - UPDATE NOW screen ! I think i'll get it on disc.

pat2068 23:12 10 Aug 04

i went into safe mode and uninstalled it so i could use the computer but i think some of it is still there as i have more h/d space used than i did before can you tell me do you need the V5 update page as i only have the V4 thanks leo

hugh-265156 23:17 10 Aug 04

not sure what you mean by page version?

sp2 should clean up after itself ok after un installing.

run disk cleanup maybe or better still click here does a better job. use default settings.

Forum Editor 23:41 10 Aug 04

I recommend that you use the V5 Windows update.

hugh-265156 23:52 10 Aug 04

got you now leo. sorry i wasnt thinking straight.

the new windows update page will be available after installing sp2. the pop up blocker will block the active x i think on default settings.

click the yellow pop up stopper info under the address bar and choose install.

alternativaly click tools/pop up blocker/settings and set to allow all on ms sites, set to low or add the ms site to the allow list.

pat2068 01:42 11 Aug 04

thanks to all that helped me got it now it took along time leo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…