xp sp1 and usb 2.0 ports

mrdsgs 18:23 11 Aug 03

here's a problem that's got me stumped!

i have two pcs both identical with gigabyte ga7vaxp motherboards, both dual boot w2000 and xp sp1 (2002 version)

i've just got my first usb 2.0 device ( a card reader) and when i plug in with xp i receive an advice message that i am connecting a "high speed" device to a "low speed" usb port.

the xp generated message advises me to disconnect from the current port and connect to one of 6 usb 2.0 ports.

i've tried them all with the same effect. How can i make the ports usb 2.0 rather than 1.0? The card reader works fine and i doubt 2.0 would be noticeably faster but i may want a usb hard drive etc so i want it sorted.

My 6 usb ports: 2 are on motherboard, 2 are on the case along with a final 2 on an expansion bracket. None are on pci cards, the last 4 all connect to motherboard headers.

both machines were set up the same way and as far as i am aware drivers all loaded correctly but there is a slight difference in control panel/system/usb controllers

one refers to "usb 2.0 root hub" and "standard enhanced pci to usb controller" plus other usb entries (but no ref to a usb 2.0 host controller), the other has " via usb 2.0 enhanced host controller" and a "usb 2.0 root hub" plus other usb entries

the message and suggested solution is the same on both machines.

how can i make the ports usb 2.0?

i've gone through the motherbord cd drivers and readme.doc, i have checked gigabyte website for the issue and i've use xp to try and update drivers.

any ideas?

many thanks

Rayuk 19:25 11 Aug 03

Have you enabled usb2 in the bios

mrdsgs 19:29 11 Aug 03

Rayuk 19:45 11 Aug 03

Only other option I would try is to delete all references to usb in Device manager reboot and let them be redetected

BillEmm 21:40 11 Aug 03

Have you installed the latest Hyperion 4in1 drivers?

If not:

click here

I don't know if they will help with your problem but a general performance improvement should result.

mrdsgs 21:50 11 Aug 03

thanks billemm

i've got recent 4in1 but usb 2.0 is not part of it.

mrdsgs 09:10 12 Aug 03

still stmped (bump)

Newuser4165 09:21 12 Aug 03

Isn't this something to do with the true definition of USB2.
USB 1.0 is 1.5MB/s
USB 1.1 and 2.0 is 12MB/s
High Speed USB 2 is up to 480MB/s
I think this was printed in the Register about 3 weeks ago but I can't find the actual article.

temp003 09:22 12 Aug 03

This user has solved his problem by installing the latest VIA 4-in-1 driver as suggested by BillEmm. click here

If that hasn't worked, I've found a VIA USB 2.0 driver patch (for XP SP1) on the MicroStar site. The patch is for some of MSI's motherboards (but include those boards using the VIA KT400 chipset - the one used by your Gigabyte board as well).

click here and scroll down to VIA USB 2.0 patch (Under WinXP+SP1).

Strangely I can't find it on the Gigabyte site, or even on VIA's site.

XP SP1 is supposed to include the USB 2 driver already, so the existence of such a patch on the MSI site does suggest that there may be a problem with USB support for VIA's chipset. Why it isn't on VIA's site I don't know.

You can try updating the USB 2 driver with the patch. If it doesn't solve the problem, or even makes it worse, roll back the driver. Set a restore point as well before you update the driver.

mrdsgs 10:13 12 Aug 03

tried the patch and the new 4 in 1 but the same problem remains

it appears that usb 2.0 is installed but xp uses the ports as 1.1 and then advises me to disconnect the device and plug into on eof the usb 2.0 ports.

the same happens whichever usb socket i try.

any more ideas anyone.

can i disable usb 1.1 ?

temp003 10:44 12 Aug 03

The only idea left for me is Rayuk's suggestion. Disconnect all usb devices, then in Device Manager, right click usb controller and root hub and uninstall them. Restart, and let XP reinstall the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…