XP Sp 3 update problems

Matata 14:43 19 Aug 08

Although my computer is programmed to automatically receive MS updates, it refuses to update SP3. How come?

I understand that updating SP3 for the XP o/s, manually, is creating chaos on one's computer; I receive massages from the continent of total crashes and am advised to leave well alone.
Any opinion and advice much welcome

Mr Mistoffelees 15:10 19 Aug 08

I'm still on XP on my desktop. I have always installed the service packs as soon as they became available, including SP3 and have never had a problem.

The people who do have problems always make the most noise, while the majority who don't just quietly get on with using their computers.

Mr Mistoffelees 15:11 19 Aug 08

I always manually install.

Matata 15:23 19 Aug 08

That's all very well, but why than does it not update when programmed for automatic download?

Marko797 15:29 19 Aug 08

I have 2 XP machines and SP3 came through as auto-update, but only as recently as end of last week, so pretty late by comparison to some forum users.

I successfully d/loaded and installed on both machines.

Although many have mentioned issues on installing SP3, I can't see why, as in my case it went very smoothly and no issues.

You could try logging into MS Update and let it check ur machine for missing updates. If SP3 appears then d/l it from there.

Zorgalite 16:14 19 Aug 08

Matata. I too have recently had problems installing updates. The updates downloaded ok, but then they wouldnt instal, this happened after a repair instal of XP, but seems to be quite a common problem (plenty articles to be found). If you are experiencing same symptoms, have a look here; click here
And try this simple fix, it solved the problem for me anyway, and I dont think it will do any harm. Regards.

Zorgalite 16:26 19 Aug 08

I meant to say, follow steps 1 to 5 at the bottom of the linked page.
Hope this helps.

Matata 16:42 19 Aug 08

Zorgalite

As an old hand on computers, I did not receive a solution until you finally gave me the answer I haven been waiting for. I "googled" my question also and read many answers, but of no help.
Previous answers were a little "airy fairy" and some sailed through with only luck on their side.
Many thanks. Problem solved.

Zorgalite 17:40 19 Aug 08

Glad I could help.
Zorgalite.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…