XP software on W7 PC

johndrew 16:17 03 Jan 11

Maybe my brain is missing a beat, but I seem to remember a piece in a PCA magazine in the past year that identified a program that allows older (XP compatible?) software to be run on a W7 PC.

I know that the more premium versions of W7 have a built in ability (as XP has) for a level of backward compatibility but this (presumably) was aimed at the cheaper options.

Am I correct in my memory? If so can anyone point me at the issue the article was in and/or the software itself?

Many thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 11:18 04 Jan 11

^

sunnystaines 12:39 04 Jan 11

john

read this link

click here

johndrew 16:26 04 Jan 11

Many thanks for the link. I guess the article in PCA must have pointed at this, I had no need of it at the time but a near neighbour has just got a new W7 PC over Christmas and is bemoaning that none of the old software works.

Unfortunately the PC has Home Premium installed and this version is not eligible for the download.

Don't suppose there is any other software which would do the job - anyone?

ventanas 16:36 04 Jan 11

What software are we talking about, because I have programs many years old that work fine with Win7. Just be careful how you install. Run the install as Administrator, and when finished use the compatability tab to run as XP, which Home Prem will do.
In fact the likes of Photoshop CS2 run far better under Win7 than ever did on Vista.

GaT7 16:39 04 Jan 11

Tell your neighbour to try running the non-functioning programs with Win7's Compatibility Mode - click here for instructions.

If that doesn't work, not to worry as he/she can use a free version of Virtual PC/XP Mode in the form of VMLite XP Mode click here. Download XP Mode from click here (or let VMLite's internal downloader do it).

There are other free alternatives like VMware Player click here (click here) & VirtualBox click here (click here). G

johndrew 16:51 04 Jan 11

Many thanks again for coming back people.

I think some software being used on the old XP PC was being run in compatibility mode under XP so whether it will work is an unknown. I shall read the links carefully, download the software and offer it for trial. The subject of the difficulty is one that has no internet - doesn't need it, doesn't trust it and did no updates from the original installed XP version. I installed SP2/3 and some other updates from downloads - took a lot of convincing though.

Could be a bit difficult, but then the older you get the less you like change!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017