XP Slow Shutdown and Regedit

Fateful Shadow 12:50 29 Jun 03

I have read several past posts about XP having a slow shutdown time. I followed one of the links on a past post (can't remember which one sorry!) and it said about changing the values for

"Waittokillapptimeout" and "Waittokillservicetimeout"

I changed the default values from 20000 to 15000. This has increased the shutdown time slightly.

Is it ok if I decrease the value a bit more, and also will this affect any other programs or program aspects?

Ironman556 13:09 29 Jun 03

I think it could cause you to lose information that's not saved in some programs. I think as long as you make sure everything is closed down before ie. word, messaging services, you should be ok, but hang on for more replies before you change it.

Forum Editor 13:12 29 Jun 03

these timings are so that the system can allow applications (Waittokillapptimeout) and services (Waittokillservicetimeout) sufficient time to terminate properly before shutting down.

If a program still hasn't terminated at the end of the 'waittokill' timeout you'll get the 'End program' dialogue box that enables you to force the termination and allow the shutdown to occur.
The 20000 default setting means twenty seconds by the way.

You should be wary of reducing these two settings by too much, as doing so will force a shutdown before some essential services have had time to properly terminate - a file may still be partly in RAM for example, and you may lose it if the system shuts down too quickly.

OS/2 = Obselete soon too! 13:26 29 Jun 03

I have already changed the values, as aforementioned, but I think I will stick with the 20000 setting.

Thanks for the advice.

P.S. I've now changed my user name, if anyone was wondering (probably not!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…