XP Slow down

daj1616 22:02 30 May 04

Hope someone can help we are useing XP and a broadband internet set up, It was fine for a few months now the PC as slowed down, Hard to boot and we seem to be waiting for ever

jimv7 22:04 30 May 04

Install and run Adaware and Spybot.

Delete temporary internet files/cookies and defrag your hard disc

powerless 22:08 30 May 04

Scan for nasties...

Download: CWS click here | Adaware click here | S&D click here

Install, Update, Scan and remove. If your not sure what they are going to remove post back.

Click Start, Run, Type:

Click OK.

Click STARTUP and remove unnecessary startup apps...

If you have AV and FW leave 'em checked.

Click Start, Run, Type:

Click OK and delete the contents of this folder.

In Internet Explorer click, Tools, Internet Options, "Delete Files" and "Delete cookies".

Question: Have you installed and new software or hardware?

daj1616 22:20 30 May 04

No powerless we have not instaled any new software or hardware and i do not know what it removes

powerless 22:27 30 May 04

In that case I think you just need a spring clean of your computer.

What I mean is download the above and they will remove nasties from your computer [if present] but if your unsure what they will be removing then just post back with its name.

Also perform a defrag as ELECTRON99 says: Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Disk Defragmenter

daj1616 22:40 30 May 04

OK Powerless i will follow your advice and hope to talk to you soon thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…