Xp Shutting down

speedbird_zero1 11:05 06 Feb 06

i have a new system running XP and had no probs to start with for about a week. This weekend though for no apparant reason it closes itself down, re-boots goes through a check takes about 15 minutes then come back on line. i have added no new products or altered any configurations. I have tested the ram and that is ok albeit i only have 512 mb till more arrives tomorrow and i have another 1Gb. The syatem has been activated with MS and all is above board. Any body any ideas or clues please

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:12 06 Feb 06

1. overheating (unlikely as restarts immediately)

2. bad memory, Memory Test
click here

3. corrupt file / driver
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

update your drivers as necessary if above makes no difference.

speedbird_zero1 13:17 06 Feb 06

Completed mem test all Ok.
Did sfc /scannow but it kept asking for disk even when i put it in.
Followed link to problems page but was unable to find relevant links in c:windows\system32\Dllcache I do not have a Dllcache file???
PC stopped 3 or 4 times more once as soon as it started, but it keeps doing what i would call a scandisc, except for the last time when all seemed correct, hence me being on here now. Maybe XP has sorted itself? i will let you know.
Mike

xania 13:20 06 Feb 06

I wonder if your power supply is faulty, or not sufficiently powerful to cope with what you have in the box. But first check that all power and data connectors are fully connected and that all expansion cards are properly seated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…