XP shutsdown when i select restart

rj :) 13:59 27 Mar 05

i use xp home with SP2 (plus all the latest updates). For some reason when i select restart, XP shutsdown instead of re-booting. Does anybody know of any registry keys that need repairing? I think it maybe related to Norton Systemworks which i have since uninstalled.

baz57 14:07 27 Mar 05

I have the same problem, plus sometimes I have to physically remove and re-insert the power supply to get it to come back on. Using windows XP SP2 and it's a MESH Cubex computer. I have Norton Internet security 2004 installed - may this be causing the problem?

stalion 17:36 27 Mar 05

go to run type msconfig and have a look in startup to see what programs are running at startup.Try cancelling one at a time to see if any one of them is causing the problem.Make sure you leave systray and explorer running

THE TERMINATOR 18:30 27 Mar 05

Has there been any changes in your power options that is causing this, I have Norton Internet Security and have never encountered this.

rj :) 08:58 29 Mar 05

thank you both for the advice
THE TERMINATOR
I've checked my power settings (under screensaver) and i can't see any changes that have been made by other programmes. I've got a lap-top and the main setting is set to "always on".

stalion
I've removed most of the items and so far no luck. I've still got a few more to remove (HP default lap-top software and antivirus/spyware etc) and i'll post a message with the results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…