XP shuts down unexpectedly

stevena 08:58 03 Mar 05

Can anyone help me with this annoying problem. My PC intermitently shuts itself down without warning. I get a message asking me if I want to save data, which it allows me to do, and then it powers down - no error messages or any other clues. I've tried all the usual things, virus scans, spybot, adaware, installing the latest graphics drivers and ensuring the ram sticks are properly seated. The spec of the pc is as follws:

XP 3200+ CPU
Asrock K7VT6 mobo
Radeon 9200 SE graphics card
512 mb ram
Windows XP SP2

Graham ® 09:45 03 Mar 05

Any clues in Event Viewer? To open Event Viewer, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer, System.

stevena 11:33 03 Mar 05

Not that I can see. It shut down on me earlier this morning and the last two events are:

'the computer browser was successfully sent a start control' and
'the computer browser service entered the running state'

Any ideas?

curlylad 11:57 03 Mar 05

Did this start happening all of a sudden or was it after you installed or downloaded anything , a program or patch or any type of software ? Have you installed any hardware or changed any configurations within your system lately ?

Graham ® 12:00 03 Mar 05

Have a look in Power Options in Control Panel for any settings that will cause the PC or monitor to turn off or standby.

stevena 12:04 03 Mar 05

The only thing I suspected might have had something to do with it was I changed from the classic view to XP style. The first shutdown happened shortly after. However, I changed everything back to the classic view and it still happens.

For some reason it only happens in the half hour or so of swithing on. Once I've got past this stage it seems to be fine

stevena 12:08 03 Mar 05

I've looked in the power options and under the UPS tab it says the UPS service is currently stopped. Does this mean anything to anyone?

Graham ® 12:16 03 Mar 05

Uninterruptable Power Supply. Chances are you don't have a big box with batteries?

Graham ® 12:32 03 Mar 05

The only other thing I can find is click here

Can you do a System Restore to a time before you changed the View?

stevena 16:15 17 Jun 05

After trying everything I could think of I replaced the mouse and keyboard - problem solved! I traced the problem to the power off switch on the keyboard, which had a loose connection. After installing a basic keyboard I've had no problems since. It just goes to show, never overlook the simplest explanations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…