XP shutdown problem

hotchocolate 02:22 24 Sep 05

I use XP SP2. I am facing a problem when I try to shut down my computer. After selecting 'Shut Down', the screen hangs on 'Windows is shutting down'. Then I have to manually shut down the machine by using the power button.
Can anyone help me here please. Would be very grateful.

AndySD 02:57 24 Sep 05

Hi

Do you have a full version of XP or a rescue cd?

Has this been happening for long? if its less than a week try using system restore.

hotchocolate 03:29 24 Sep 05

Thanks Andy, for the response. Yeah I have the full version of XP home with Service Pack 2. This problem occured about a month back. I posted my problem on some noticeboards but none helped me. I was told there is a patch available on Windows for this but when I checked the Windows pages, they advised that the patch is included in SP2. So I reckon I have the patch.

hotchocolate 03:31 24 Sep 05

I have never used System Restore before. Is it safe? Like I've got a lot of files. Will they get deleted? And what about the software I loaded since?
Thanks

AndySD 03:39 24 Sep 05

Ok for now lets not use system restore (although all your files will be safe any software loaded since the date you go back to will not work)

As a first standard check

Put the Windows cd in the drive and close the window that autoruns. Now go Start ten Run and type in

cmd

hit enter.

In the command promp box that opens type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter.This checks and replaces any damaged windows files.

AndySD 03:44 24 Sep 05

apologies for the spelling it is 03:40

read ten as then also promp should read prompt.

hotchocolate 10:11 24 Sep 05

Thanks again Andy. And don't worry about the spellings, I can ontershtand!!!! ;-)
Andy, my laptop came with a recovery CD which has Windows and other preloaded software on it. If I put
that CD, then it'll start the process of reloading everything again. So is there any way around this?
Thanks mate.

ACOLYTE 10:17 24 Sep 05

This has helped me in the past with the same error windows hanging on the shutdown screen
click here might help you too.

gudgulf 10:35 24 Sep 05

Everything you have always wanted to know about XP shutdown problems and more.........much more click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…