//some 3rd party need geo

XP Shutdown problem

Megadeath 10:28 03 Mar 04

I have a strange little problem here :-(
I completed a fresh install of Win XP on my friends machine and everything worked fine, I could shutdown the PC in the normal way everytime.

Now after installing his graphics card drivers ( win xp didn't find them , geforce 4 mx440 64mb )
The computer point black refuses to shutdown , it just hangs on the "windows is shutting down" screen.

If you hold the power button in for 5 seconds it shuts off and you can reboot it with no problems.

If you are in windows and select "restart" from the shutdown menu, it does exactly as it's told.

It just totally refuses to shutdown, All I can say is that installing the graphics drivers has done something somewhere But I cannot figure out what.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful for the information !!

Thanks

johnnyrocker 10:30 03 Mar 04

try updating graphics drivers?

johnny.

curlylad 10:46 03 Mar 04

Try to shutdown in safe mode if you can then I would say it is a driver problem as johnnyrocker suggests !

AndyJ 10:47 03 Mar 04

Have a browse through here click here

Xevious 10:56 03 Mar 04

you stole my thunder... :-)

this problem occured with one of my customers, i found the same website that you listed here, and tried it, presto, it works a treat!

good one.

Megadeath 10:59 03 Mar 04

Had the latest graphics drivers on the machine, even tried a set of older drivers incase the new ones where the problem.

Will try the safemode shutdown now and see what happens.

Megadeath 11:04 03 Mar 04

Same problem, hangs on " windows is shutting down "

Xevious 12:26 03 Mar 04
  Megadeath 02:05 04 Mar 04

Thanks for the help guys, All seems to be working well now.

Updated Graphics drivers
Updated Modem Drivers
Updated sound card drivers

Something must have just gone nuts somewhere and caused this, but after all those updates it now shuts down correctly.

Works fine now.

Thanks again for the tips !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…