XP Shutdown - "Gearbox" problem

csqwared 20:54 25 Jan 03

Problem on my daughter's kit but I'm not XP literate. After hitting the "Shut Down" option a window appears with a message "Gearbox - this window is not responding End Now or Cancel" Cancel allows the machine to shut down, End Now and it requires a turn off at the plug. Can't see anything in previous threads or on the links given. Any ideas please?

Falkyrn 20:57 25 Jan 03

I take it you have NTL as your ISP as Gearbox is their software of choice ... Its not actually needed and you can access your ntl account through internet explorer (or any other browser) and any mail program. Gearbox is NOT fully XP compatible.

spikeychris 21:01 25 Jan 03

How do I un-install / re-install gearbox ?

IMPORTANT: Pause or quit any anti-virus software before installing

Windows 95/98:

1) You will need to end task GB TASK and CONFSVR (CTRL + Alt then DEL)

2) Click on the START taskbar > PROGRAMS >NTLWORLD CONNECTION KIT > UNINSTALL

Once completed to right click on the START task bar and select OPEN, double click on PROGRAMS then the STARTUP folder. Now to remove all Gearbox programs from within the STARTUP folder. (Right click on the Gearbox programs listed there and select DELETE with a left click) This will take them to the recycle bin.

3) Reboot the PC in the correct way (START > SHUTDOWN > RESTART)

4) Into WINDOWS EXPLORER (START > PROGRAMS > WINDOWS EXPLORER)

5) You will need to Delete the following:
C:\Program files\gearbox connection kit (Right click and select delete)
REBOOT the PC again.

csqwared 21:17 25 Jan 03

Hi folks - thanks for that. I've passed on the info and hopefully problem resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…