XP Shut down problem

Dearersteak 22:26 14 May 03

Ok, Just upgraded from 98 to XP pro. Everything fine bar one or two little bugs. First, when i shut my machine down, it stops with a "it is now safe to turn your PC off." How do i set this back to nomal. And one other thing, in MSNconfig, It keeps booting with "normal start up" rather than "selective startup", which means that things like Norton are'nt being loaded at the start. I keep changing it, but ever time i reboot, its changed back again.
Sure there simple thing. Thanks

hugh-265156 22:53 14 May 03

have you got all the updates?try turning off hibernation in controlpanel/poweroptions.normal start up everything should load.are all the boxes ticked in startup tab in msconfig?

VoG™ 23:00 14 May 03

Read this click here but not for too long if you have a paper round in the morning.

Dearersteak 16:53 15 May 03

Not to worrie VoG, Sunday mornings only, I've downloaded all 31 odd updates plus the Service pack, which took forever and a day to finsh, But its still not turning off. It get past the "saving your settings" part, and after that, i hear both hard drives spin down on after the other, and then i get a black screen, thats has the XP logo, and under it, "it is now safe to turn off your PC"

hugh-265156 17:17 15 May 03

go to controlpanel/powereoptions/advanced and check the box that says "when i press the power button" and select shut down.also check power schemes and set as home office desk.

Dearersteak 17:21 15 May 03

Weird, under advance, all i have is a check box asking if i want the power option logo in the task bar. I'm running XP Pro, just incase i forgot to mention it

hugh-265156 18:30 15 May 03

found this click here and click here might help a bit.

Dearersteak 19:13 15 May 03

Hmmm, Intersting, Well, that would explian my missing options, But what can i do about the system not turning off when i shut it down???

hugh-265156 19:36 15 May 03

click here is the only thing i can find.

microswift 19:42 15 May 03

Might be some help here,click here problems

microswift 19:46 15 May 03

Sorry bad link try again,click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…