XP - sharing contacts and favorites

bruce 20:25 14 Mar 03

XP Pro, Office and Outlook 2002
I have never properly understood .pab or .pst files, importing address books, using address books as contact lists etc etc.
Likewise, since migrating to XP, the one thing I don't like is the separation of so many facilities which I am used to sharing and want to continue to share eg contacts/address book and favorites.
I've tried to search out the info on the MS database and by Google etc searches and forum searches, but I can't find anything simple enough for my lack of knowledge (in this one particular area!).
I share my computer with my wife and we would like to share the same contacts list/address book, call it what you will, and favorites list.
Can anyone please provide me with an idiot-proof, simplistic, step-by-step guide to merging the separate versions of each, which we have just now?
Thanks in advance.

howard60 20:38 14 Mar 03

have you got the pc set up for different users? if so I believe you can right click some things and in the properties 1 option is make available to all users.

jazzypop 20:47 14 Mar 03

A simple question, but unfortunately, no simple answer. The essential problem is that Outlook 2002 is simply not designed to work the way you want it to, unless you install Exchange Server (not recommended for your situation).

See click here and click here and click here for more information on the difficulties that need to be overcome, and some solutions that can be made to work.

It is actually quite straightforward to send each other your contacts as vcards (see the links above), but that process will need to be repeated regularly as you add more contacts. It is better to try to set up a system that works from a shared contacts list.

Your Favourites are stored in a folder called Favourites(!) within C:\Documents & Settings\Username

You could set up a pair of shortcuts in C:\Documents & Settings\All Users that point to each user's Favourites folder, or right-click each User's Favourites folder and choose Sharing, or use one of the many utilities that will create an HTML file from your favourites, and share that HTML file, etc, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…