XP - Shared Folders - Password Protect?

webber_man 02:14 28 Feb 05

Hi - basically is it possible to password protect certain shared folders using Windows XP?

mattyc_92 11:20 28 Feb 05

No... You can set "permissions" so that only a group of users or a certaian user(s) can access the folder and files...

To password protect a folder, you will have to use third party software.... Lock Folder XP seems to have some good features... click here

ventanas 11:35 28 Feb 05

Lots of "ifs" here. Are you using XP Pro or Home. Is your hard drive fat32 or ntfs?

webber_man 15:23 28 Feb 05

Thanks mattyc_92

I have 3 machines - 2 running XP Home 1 running XP pro.

I want to be able to share only certain folders from each of the PC's with certain 'users' - e.g. desktop 1 has users A, B and C assigned and i only want user C to be able to access a folder on desktop 2. I want the folder to be 'shared' as i want the other user to acces it.

Is this possibile within XP Home/Pro?

mattyc_92 16:24 28 Feb 05

XP Pro is the best for this, as Home doesn't include some of the "advanced" security options that Pro has....

You may be able to use the "permissions" option by restarting in Safe Mode and right-clicking a folder/file/drive and click properties->permissions... Just change the permissions and thats it, restart system into normal mode and test it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…