xp setup problem

linguina 03:50 23 Feb 03

This is going to be hard to explain.
In my quest to serch the right configuration I've been installing and uninstalling winxp several time and I noticed that towards the end of the installation process (after setting the time, computer name, language, key number, etc) sometimes I get a sort of wizard that asks me if I want to register online (gives the choice wheather to do it immidiately or later) and also which name to log in with but sometimes I don't get the wizard at the end of the setup and also I can log in as Administrator without specifying a user name. It bothers me cose it affects when I want to restore my configuration from my backup.

After the setup showed the wizard I tryed to use my backup and my configuration (desktop, shortcuts, etc) didn't fully load, only the softwares were restored.

If I use my backup after the installation has finished without showing the wizard then everything works fine and my desktop looks exactly as I left it a month ago.

Can anyone explain to my why? Please, don't think I am crazy. It has been happening few times now. I installed xp on different hdds following the same procedure but as I said sometimes I have to go through the wizard and sometimes not.

howard60 07:40 23 Feb 03

each hdd constitutes a different setup/machine and could affect the activation even requiring a new code from microsoft if they would allow it.

linguina 15:01 23 Feb 03

If you are right then I was on the right track but I don't understand the criteria with which the system works. Do you think there could be any clues on the microsoft web site?

linguina 23:08 23 Feb 03

Does anyone else know anythink about it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…