XP setup

waydekirrane 16:32 12 Jan 04

I recently bought a second hand computer. it already has XP on it so i just changed the user accounts names to match people using the computer. however, there seems to be a problem with the files. i can't change the names of the user files eg 'my music' comes in my user account with the old users name. i've tried setting up new user accounts and changing names of files, but this doesn't seem to work. can anyone help? can i delete the old users completely and start again?

beeuuem 16:45 12 Jan 04

Use the xp selection to change the owner name from click here.

hugh-265156 16:48 12 Jan 04

do you have a windows xp cdrom? i would start afresh and reinstall it click here

alcudia 16:51 12 Jan 04

So would I. You don't know what may be lurking on this system.

waydekirrane 16:54 12 Jan 04

no, i don't have the disc

alcudia 17:00 12 Jan 04

Why not. It is illegal to sell a computer without the disc for the operating system that is installed on it. It is also illegal to use the operating system without the disc. You may have been a victim of piracy. Go back to the person who sold you the computer and demand the discs, not only for Windows, but for any other programs installed on the machine. If you are refused post back. At the moment it is doubtful if you have a legal copy of Windows.

The only other possiblity is that your installation files may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive. But these usually requires a disc to activate them. What make is the computer?

beeuuem 17:18 12 Jan 04

" It is illegal to sell a computer without the disc for the operating system that is installed on it. It is also illegal to use the operating system without the disc."

Really?

leo49 17:26 12 Jan 04

Good impression of Outraged of Tunbridge Wells but please take the time to get your facts right.

Mysticnas 18:04 12 Jan 04

hmmm... interesting...

alcudia 21:34 12 Jan 04

I stand by what I have said.

This computer has been sold with a copy of XP installed. By law the disc for the operating system (XP) should have been handed over with it. Otherwise it could still be used on another machine. There are ways.

leo49 22:41 12 Jan 04

You may stand by it,but don't lean too hard against it as you'll find yourself falling. Such laws as you describe are a figment of your imagination.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac