Xp set up cant see HDD

lixdexik 17:31 01 Dec 09

I have just installed a new 250gig HDD in my Acer laptop. I have booted up with the new XP pro disc in the drive. XP Set up starts as it should but after loading it’s self and I have the “welcome to set up” screen with the options to “set up windows on this computer..press enter” . when I press enter I get a message to say that “set up cannot find any hard drives on this machine. Set up cannot continue”

Question.. Why can’t windows find the HDD.. It shows up in the BIOS.

It’s an ACER ASPIRE 5310 with a 1.6 Mhz Celeron M 520 processor..2 gig ddr2 ram. 250 gig WD HDD.

If I run my Acronis True Image, it will install the image form the old HDD no problem, It’s just Xp set up that is having trouble.

Any thoughts.

Cheers
Lixdexik

PP321 17:41 01 Dec 09

Have you tried the same procedure with the old drive? stopping before any data is changed obviously?, some laptops require matrix/raid drivers, even when the machine isnt raid.

lixdexik 17:46 01 Dec 09

and as it happens I got the same problem.

Where might I get the drivers you mention?

Cheers
Lixdexik

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:20 01 Dec 09

XP can not see the SATA drive
You need to load the SATA drivers at the F6 prompt during setup.

Unfortunately XP expects the drivers on the "a" drive a floppy drive.
You could use a USB floppy drive to load the drivers
or
format a pen drive as a bootable drive with the boot image from a floppy drive and load the drivers off that.
or
Use something like nlite click here
to slipstream your XP pro version with the SATA drivers and even the service pack updates.

woodchip 18:30 01 Dec 09

So whats wrong with loading the Acronis Image?

lixdexik 19:06 01 Dec 09

Could you give me a hand held guide to what I would have to do with the floppy/pen drive. also there I dont have an A drive (floppy) on this machine. I have looked at your link. so how do i get the download?

woodchip, This machine came with Vista installed and struggles to work with it. so I would like to install xp instead. Music & Video stall on play back with vista.

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 19:07 01 Dec 09

I have installed xp pro on two desk top pcs and they both have sata11 drives.

Lixdexik.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:13 01 Dec 09

Agree with Woodchip
Install the image, why go to all the bother of trying to reload XP and all the updates and drivers it takes hours.
An image installs in approx 15 mins.

lixdexik 19:20 01 Dec 09

I dont want to install that as it struggles. I know it takes a while to install the software, but I'm happy to do that to get a machine that will do what I want with out a hitch. (if I can get it loaded).

Cheers Lixdexik.

Eric10 19:33 01 Dec 09

I have an Acer Aspire 5315 and faced this same problem. I took the slipstream route and created a new XP CD with the "F6" drivers integrated along with Service Pack 3. The new SATA drive was then recognised automatically during setup.

click here for XP drivers.
Click on Notebook > Aspire > 5310 then choose XP Pro from the Operating System drop-down list.

Quiller. 19:41 01 Dec 09

I looked at the acer site and found no SATA drivers for xp pro 32bit.

Your laptop is SATA1. What speed is the new drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…