XP Service pack and internet access

Antz 17:50 26 Jan 03

Having upgraded to XP S.P 1 everytime log on to the internet there is a lot of download activity.According the Zonealarm the program that is running is 'Windows Services Winhost.exe'. Does anydody know what is going on here ,I have tried letting it run for a while but it seems to never stop. When I block winhost access to the internet my internet explorer refuses to work. If I cannot sort this I feel I have no choice but to remove the service pack.

worf 19:18 26 Jan 03

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services is one of the normal ones that ZA picks up on with Win XP. It is required access so that you can gain access to the internet. It dosn't just serve one purpose neither.

Have a look at the Google search and checl ot some of the links they explain it better and also what actions you may require to take

click here

Once you have had a look through these go to this link and haver a look at Windows Xp Services and how you can disable some of the functions that may be causing your problems.

click here

One word of advice though, make sure you make a note of any changes you make so that you can put them back to the original config if anything goes wrong

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…