XP service pack 2 beta

hugh-265156 22:39 26 Jun 04

after much reading and chin scratching i took the plunge the other day and installed service pack 2 beta for xp.(network install) i was expecting a few problems with it but so far i am happy to say that i have had none what so ever and it seems to be very stable indeed.

i have run all my programs and games and the computer has been running now for 3 days solid without a hitch. system restore still works and i have checked that i can restore to a previous date (and sp1 build) if need be. i have also checked that it can be removed via add remove programs and this works ok too.

some nice touches like a new windows update website,firewall and monitoring of AV and third party firewalls (which can be all switched off if you want but are enabled by default) there is a new security centre icon in the task bar at start up allowing access to these features (this can be turned off in services if you want also) I'm using zone alarm and avg with no conflicts even if i choose leave everything switched on.

add remove programs no longer lists all the kb update entries, this makes things so much tidier (tick box to show them) outlook express (if you use it) security settings are tighter by default and internet explorer has a pop up blocker that seems to work as intended.

there are a few new icons in control panel, windows updates, windows firewall, security centre (as mentioned above) and a new wireless network set up wizard (which i have not tried)

internet explorer, OE, media player and direct x all have new builds. and sp2 is not effected by the latest internet explorer exploit.

as I'm sure you know you can download it click here but remember it is beta and just because i have no problems doesn't mean to say you will not.

just thought i would post this if anybody is itching to try it. my findings are all good so far. ps. you must uninstall this before installing the final retail version.

woodbexhill 22:47 26 Jun 04

I've been thinking about installing it to try it out and see how it runs, I think I'll 'take the plunge' and give it a go in a minute.

I hope it'll be a smooth install :D

powerless 22:48 26 Jun 04

The wireless side of things are GREATLY improved, or so my Centrino tells me.

Ritchbee 22:51 26 Jun 04

Downloaded it myself as well light night and so far so good.

Forum Editor 23:24 26 Jun 04

in its various beta versions, and have grown to like it very much. I've participated in the beta programs for every major Microsoft release sincve Windows 95 and I've never seen such a thorough and professionally run program as this has been - the Microsoft development team has really got stuck into this Service pack in a big way.

The last Release candidate (RC2), which is the one you're referring to is very stable, and although there may be some minor tweaks before release I doubt that there will be any substantial change. Anyone who fancies installing it should certainly remember that they'll be using beta software, and there'll be no support from Microsoft if things go wrong.

hugh-265156 23:35 26 Jun 04

install woodbexhill, for me was just like installing service pack 1. i made a restore point before installing but it was unnecessary as a restore point is created and files are archived at point of install anyway.

as above its also easily removed by system restore or add remove programs if you need to as is media player.

also as above, if you use a third party firewall like ZA you can disable the windows firewall via security centre and turn off the automatic windows updates here too if you like to download them manually. i left ZA running at start up and had no conflicts but if you want click ZA/preferences and untick 'run at start up' then disable windows firewall and put the ZA tick back and restart again.

the security centre task bar icon appears at start up and can be removed if annoys via 'start/control panel/administrative tools/services' scroll down to 'security centre' double click and set it to manual.

hugh-265156 00:38 29 Jun 04

bump and tick

powerless 00:45 29 Jun 04

You can find one [well you count them] MASSIVE document on the Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

click here

Indepth!

hugh-265156 00:53 29 Jun 04

indeedy click here too if you dont want to download

powerless 23:46 30 Jun 04

Click Start, Control Panel, System, Advanced, Settings [first] Data Execution Prevention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now