XP service pack 2

sak41 09:16 05 Jan 05

hi i have just installed the service pack 2. My computer is starting to play up!! when i shut down my Pc it brings up a box which says explorer is not responding. Does anyone know what the problem may be. Also is it possible to uninstall the service pack, will this do any damage to my computer....i did'nt have any problems until i installed the service pack.

Michendi 09:48 05 Jan 05

Uninstalling SP2 is not the answer. SP2 fixes hundreds of XP bugs and improves PC security, especially for the Home user and non-technical user. To resolve your issue try the following in the order specified.

1. Update Windows from the Windows Update site. This will also update Internet Explorer and will ensure that you are using all the latest components.

2. Clean up your hard drive.

3. Run chkdsk c:/r to fix any file problems.

4. If you are using a 3rd-party Firewall then you must choose between the Windows Firewall and the 3rd-party Firewall. You should not run both on the same system at the same time.

5. Update your AV software program files. Some AV software will cause problems if not updated to work with SP2.

JIM 09:58 05 Jan 05

You should be able to uninstall the service pack from the Add/remove programs.There should be no problems unless it stops uninstalling for some unknown reason.

If you follow that up with a systems restore,from before the upgrade you should be back as you were.Just make sure you have SP1 updates and security are tight.

You may be better leaving system as it is for now and see if any changes come about, or error messages that may link to a problem bar the explorer message, which we may be able to sort out.A bit more on the spec of system with any poss problems before the SP2 install may help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 05 Jan 05

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

sak41 10:39 05 Jan 05

My Os is windows Xp Home

Stuartli 11:34 05 Jan 05

When the Explorer message opens, do a Cont+Alt+Del and click the End Task button. You may need to repeat this on a second panel which appears.

There is no valid reason why you should uninstall SP2 and it is unlikely to be the cause of your Explorer message problem.

There are occasions when a particular application or program won't respond and ending it as mentioned above normally does the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…