XP Service Pack 1 download & 56K Modem

Eye No Nuffin 09:22 15 Aug 03

Trying to download XP service pack 1 is proving difficult via 56K modem.

MS suggest a 56K modem should take about 1.25 hours.

My modem is obviously not running as effciently as per MS gameplan. System tells me it will take about 2.6 hours to complete the download.

Problem is my ISP only allows 2.0 hour sessions before disconnecting.

What are my options ?:-
a) Attempt download, suffer a disconnect and hope that the system carries on from where it left off after reconnection - Is this really feasible ?
b) Obtain SP1 elsewhere, cd-rom perhaps. Can someone advise, including cost.
c) Do something else ?

Help !

dazzling (work) 09:27 15 Aug 03

microsoft site allows you to start where you left of with that one.not sure wether you can still do it after a restart though so just reconnect straight away.you can get sp1 on disk it has been on the windows mag i think you can get it from microsoft aswell.darren

Bodi 09:38 15 Aug 03

3hrs 33mins and 15secs with my 56K modem. I was really cheesed off. I don't have a 2hr cut off now, but did with Freeserve and like dazzling (work) writes, when I upgraded through Freeserve and got cut off three quarters of the way through, on reconnecting, the upgrade started where it left off.

Bodi

rawprawn 09:52 15 Aug 03

No problem it's resume supported, but you should be able to find it on one of PCA cover discs

TechMad 09:53 15 Aug 03

I ordered the SP1 CD for free. Do it that way round.

crimbo 10:13 15 Aug 03

As TechMad says, if you go to click here you will be able to order a CD containing SP1 for free

Eye No Nuffin 20:03 15 Aug 03

CD now on order - snail mail permitting.

Apologies for not replying sooner but had problems getting thru to MS site this am - maybe was due to current US power problems ?

Anyway thanks for all contributions. All input greatly appreciated.

I find this PCA helpdesk system absolutely brilliant for helping a novice like myself when having PC difficulties.

Thanks again everyone and please keep up the good work you are all doing.

silverhair 19:42 28 Aug 03

The other possibility is to get SOP1 from a cover disk. Have a look at the official XP mag.
I installed it twice (once after a download job) but had to take the thing off again (which is simple) because on both occasions my 1.6ghz P4 slowed down badly. Anyone found the same - and what is the cure. Problem is that subsequent updates have failed because no SP1

Eye No Nuffin 13:58 02 Sep 03

To conclude -

MS SP1 arrived by post yesterday.

Took about 50 mins to load.

Thanks to all
I NO

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…