XP Security Tab Tip (PC Advisor April 07)

Ecky-Thump 12:05 19 Feb 07

I have been trying to load this Tip from the URL quoted and it says not available, has anyone succeeded in finding it?

I assume it will help me unlock a few Folders and files which have locked up during Cut and paste tidying of my folders, I have a number which are locked for some reason.

EckyThump

VoG II 12:06 19 Feb 07
  VoG II 12:12 19 Feb 07

See also click here

Ecky-Thump 12:27 19 Feb 07

Thanks VOG, I will try later again, timing out at present ... whats happend to the PC Advisor link ... its not even March yet, and its in the April edition ??

eckythump

Ecky-Thump 19:51 20 Feb 07

I eventually downloaded from the links, but it all looked a bit dodgy to install (dating back to 1998 and referring to NT), so I have decided to live with the problems of locked files that I have, it looked like an easy solution in PC Advisor, but turned out not to be ...

thanks anyway .. eckythump

VoG II 20:00 20 Feb 07

Are you getting an access denied message? Try click here

Ecky-Thump 20:19 20 Feb 07

Thanks for the new link ... yes I am getting access denied, it came about on some folders and files after I cut and pasted in a tidy up session, I avoid that now .... I looked at the link it looks as if it would cure the problem, but seemed messy having to boot up in safe mode, so I thought the PC Advisor tip would give me the security tab, I have wriiten to the Mag to see if they have a solution to the link problem ...

Thanks VOG for the feedback

eckythump

phono 20:25 20 Feb 07

The tip works a treat, I have used it myself, I downloaded from click here and installed without problems.

Ecky-Thump 10:22 21 Feb 07

This is a lot more complicated than just downloading and running something ... I looked at your link and it points to this SCESP41.exe file which installs as two exe files, running one says it needs SP4 for NT (I am on XP), the other appears to install some files but does nothing, I think I will give up before the Blue Screens arrive .... I can put up with a few locked files I think ... thanks anyway

Eckythump

Coff 11:03 21 Feb 07

Security Shell Extension click here

In the unzipped folder you'll find three files. Right click the rshx setup information file, not the rshx32_5 dll file, and click install.

You can uninstall from Add\Remove Programs.

Ecky-Thump 14:31 21 Feb 07

Now that was simple ... thanks Coff ... nearly gave up, the tip in PC Advisor looked simple, but it was no longer a valid url ...

Thanks to all Eckythump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos