XP Security centre virus

phil.s 23:15 06 May 10

Hi there,

I got infected last week with the XP Security centre virus and a Norton scan removed a couple of trojans. I also ran SpyBot and Adaware but my browser was still being redirected.

After seeing some good reviews I downloaded and ran Hitman Pro 3.5 which found trojans in four different places, all hidden in a file "SIQSRX.DLL". Hitman said they had been removed but it looks like it just flushed them out from hiding as Norton then detected and quarantined it as Trojan.Gen.

The redirection has now stopped BUT there is a red error at startup, in four directories:-

"SIQSRX.DLL is not a valid windows image. Please check against your installation diskette."

I am somewhat reluctant to reboot the PC again as it is now working OK!

Just now, Norton has found two more trojans (trojan.gen) lurking in the system volume information folder and then Hitman Pro then found two more hidden in the same SIQSRX.DLL files as yesterdays:-

"C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Server\siqsrx.dll"

"C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Windows Server\siqsrx.dll"

Can anyone tell me if switching off system restore is likely to stop it popping up again and whether Hitman Pro is a reputable malware/spyware remover?

Many thanks

Ashrich 00:09 07 May 10

Download Superantispyware , and if possible , update it ( you may find that initially you can't )
Run it , and give it time to do a full scan , it should find everything pertaining to your problem , then get it to delete whatever it finds .

Turn off system restore before running the program .

Ashley

phil.s 07:55 07 May 10

What about the option of restoring my PC to a date prior to the infection. Would that work, or would the virus/malware just be trapped in later restore points?

If the latter is the case, then if I turn off system restore AFTER restoring to the earlier date, would that remove the later restore points and consequebtly any "trapped" virus?

Thanks

birdface 09:12 07 May 10

Maybe update and run the free version of Malwarebytes and see if it finds anything.
Also give C Cleaner a run to clear out any junk left behind.

click here

phil.s 11:01 07 May 10

Thanks for the advice buteman. Malwarebytes does appear more reputable than Hitman Pro and is recommended by bleepingcomputer so I may give that a try.

If it all goes pear shaped and I have to reinstall windows, is it best to use the restore discs I created when the PC was new, or restore from the recovery partition on the hard drive??

Sea Urchin 11:15 07 May 10

Yes, Malwarebytes should remove it - but when it has finished and removed what it finds run another Quick Scan to check that all is clear.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…