XP Security Centre & AVG

sibaw 17:00 21 Mar 06

I regularly re-format my hard drive and reinstall the operating software - to clear out the dross. I run XP on a Sony VAIO laptop and run AVG anti virus. I have carried out the reformat many times without problems, this time I now get the dreaded "red shield", despite AVG being up to date. MS Security Analyzer also shows the system to be sound, but I want to properly redress the error.

I note that there have been emails on this before, but the solution offered is simply to disable the virus notification, which I do not want to do.

Does anyone have an up to date fix, that does not involve disabling the notification?

howard63 20:08 21 Mar 06

have you tried uninstalling avg and downloading a fresh copy?

ACOLYTE 20:12 21 Mar 06

Have you checked that the email scanner is set up correctly with correct details?,i have found that if i install AVG before setting up my email account i was prone to getting errors after,so what i did was setup my email accounts first then install AVG and let it import the setup this seemed to work better than the other way.

sibaw 19:48 22 Mar 06

yep tried both and they work - thanks

Batch 08:32 23 Mar 06

Regularly re-formatting and reinstalling sounds time consuming.

Have you ever thought of using disk imging software, like True Image (V8 available from a few pounds). You could set your clean system up and then make an image. Whenever you want to go back to a clean state just re-install the image - a few clicks and a few minutes and it can be done.

sibaw 10:00 25 Mar 06

thanks batch - you have convinced me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant